All the parts are also located on our TBS Source one 4s/6s Rotor builds.
The aim of this guide is to give you three areas to focus on and to help you get into building your first quad. We want to mention that we DO NOT recommend this to be your first quad that you fly.
We recommend you start with a Tinyhawk RTF or a Tinyhawk BNF, or use a remote and simulator until you can fly in ACRO mode. You may even want to buy a 5” BNF before you venture into building your first quad.
However, at some point you will be ready for your first quad build, and below is what we recommend you start with.
Core Build - These parts are essential, you can't build a new quad without these! You need ALL these parts to make the quad.
Consumable Build - You may need these - If you have built a quad before you may already have some of these consumables and not require them. Items such as battery straps, props and solder.
I HAVE NOTHING! - You have never built a quad and you need everything. These items include a radio, goggles, soldering iron, battery charger etc.
Let's get started!
The Source one has plenty of room for a 4 in 1 ESC or separate ESCs. We chose the combo stack as this simplifies wiring from ESCs to FC.
Motors are next, you have lots of options but for freestyle 4s builds we recommend the below options, you will need four of each and if multiple KV variants are available you want 4s compatible KV, anywhere between 2300KV to 2500KV usually.
Cameras next, the choices are many. A full-size camera will fit in directly. We recommend one of the following:
Other cameras like the Caddx Ratel are an excellent choice but may require some spacers or creativity when mounting in the Source One.
Please note the antenna connector style of your VTX (SMA/UFL/MMCX) and select an appropriate antenna:
TBS Unify Pro 5G8 VTX Video Transmitter HV (SMA)
TBS Unify Pro 5G8 SMA Pigtail Right Angle 90°(MMCX) Cable
TrueRC Singularity 5.8 Micro 5.8GHz Long Version Antenna (1pc)
TrueRC OCP 5.8GHz Normal Version Antenna (1pc)
HQ Prop Ethix S5 5x4x3 Propellers 1 Pack (4 Pieces)
T-Motor T5147 Tri Blade Propellers
- Chinahobbyline CNHL Black Series 1500mah 14.8v 4S 100C Lipo Battery [DG]
- Suleve™ M3NH1 M3 Nylon Screw Black Hex Screw Nut Nylon PCB Standoff Assortment Kit 300pcs
- Phaser3D M3 Stack Spacers In TPU (48pcs)
- Lipo Battery Strap 240x20mm
- Phaser Leech Ultimate Lipo Battery Strap 250x20mm
Rubycon 10x16mm ZLH Low ESR 35V/470uF Capacitor (6s BUILD)
Rubycon 8x11.5mm ZLH Low ESR 25V/330uF Capacitor (4S BUILD)
- TBS Solder 15g
- Soldering Flux
- ZAP PT42 Z42 Blue Thread Loctite
- Heatshrink for arms
For improved adhesion to your battery we recommend these as an upgrade to the standard battery pad that is included with the source one kit.
- TBS Ummagrip Battery Pad TBS Edition
- Phaser3D Printed Motor Skids 16x16 16x19 19x19 For Car Park Quad Bashers
I HAVE NOTHING
- Current Limited Power Supply - YIHUA 853D - Find on ebay for around $100 AUD - https://www.pwheel.com.au/link/gwnao
- Radiomaster Transmitter
Fatshark Dominator HDO 2 FPV Goggles FSV1123
Skyzone Box Goggles
- Gopro 8 or Gopro 6 with reel steady
- TBS Fusion Receiver Module For Goggles
TBS Crossfire Long Range Tx
- TBS Crossfire Micro TX
ToolkitRC M6 150W charger
- Torvol Drone Bag
- Hex Screw Driver Tool Kit
- Ethix TBS Prop Tool
- Side Cutters Small/Medium/Large
Miniware TS100 Soldering Iron with B2 Tip TS100-B2 (Includes XT60 Cable)
Sequre SQ-D60B Soldering Iron
- Phaser FPV Helping Hands with LED Light and Magnifier
Bat-Safe LiPo battery charging safe box
TBS Lipo Safety Bag
- Digital Multimeter